Chronology of Education
The first school building was built and school districts from one mile north and one mile south of Manilla were combined to form The Manilla Independent School District. The building contained 4 classrooms with 2 classes in each room.
Built where the 2009 IKM-Manning Middle School stands. Built in 3 phases 1889-1892-1899, the school opened in 1889. Note the pump basketball bang board, early teams played games outside.
The Manilla School District voted overwhelmingly to bond the district for $45,000 to build a new brick school. The Catholic Church bought part of the wooden structure for a grade school. George Holdsworth Sr. bought and dismantled the rest.
Under construction 1915
A $25,154 W.P.A. funded playground project north of the school was started. All employed were relief workers with common laborers to receive $40 per month and the Foreman to receive $65 per month. New gym and auditorium were voted in with $19,000 to build and equip, funded by Local bonds issued for $10,000 and Federal Grant (W.P.A.) of $9000.
The Manilla Independent School District was reorganized and became the Manilla Community School.
A new elementary wing was built. All country schools in the county were closed.
A bond issue of $220,000 was voted for a new gymnasium.
The new gym built on the spot where the old wooden school stood (1889) was dedicated.
New Gym Completed in 1973
The Manilla school and the Irwin-Kirkman school began a co-op program with athletic activities. IKM baseball was first and by 1987, all sports were in 1KM uniforms of the green, gold and white Hawks and Hawkettes.
On July 1st the Manilla and Irwin-Kirkman school boards signed an official consolidation agreement to combine the two school systems. Hence Irwin-Kirkman-Manilla or IKM.
Whole grade sharing program begins with Manning
Consolidation to IKM-Manning